With just few days remaining for Mobile World Congress to kick start in Barcelona, Canonical has partnered with Meizu of China to unleashed a new flagship smartphone with Ubuntu operating system named Meizu PRO 5 Ubuntu Edition. The phone will be showcase at MWC next week where its pricing and availability will be announce.
The newly unveiled PRO 5 Ubuntu Edition sports identical specifications with PRO 5 Android Edition that was released in September last year. However, it only comes in 3GB RAM/32GB storage variant unlike its twin brother.
Meizu PRO 5 Ubuntu Edition Specifications
- 5.7-inch Super AMOLED display with full-HD (1920×1080 pixels) resolution, 386ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- 2.1GHz octa-core Exynos 7420 processor, Mali-T760 GPU
- 3GB LPDDR4 RAM
- 32GB built-in storage (expandable via MicroSD card)
- 21.6-megapixel rear camera, f/2.2 aperture, Laser Auto Focus, Sony IMX230 sensor, PDAF, dual-tone LED flash, 4K video recording
- 5-megapixel front camera, f/2.0 aperture, full-HD video recording
- Fingerprint sensor
- Hybrid dual SIM (second SIM slot can be use as MicroSD card slot)
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.1, Wifi 802.11ac (dual band), 4G LTE Cat.6, 3G HSPA+, GPRS/EDGE, GPS/A-GPS, USB 3.0 Type-C
- OS: Ubuntu
- Battery: 3050mAh
- Dimensions: 156.7 x 78 x 7.5mm
- Weight: 166 grams
Earlier this month, Canonical partnered with BQ to launched Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition, a 10.1-inch tablet that offers convergence experience, enabling users to use it as a full desktop computer when plugged in an external display via output HDMI port it houses.