At its Tech Summit earlier today Qualcomm officially pulled the veil off its latest high-end Snapdragon mobile processor, the Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform. The new chipset is here to succeed the Snapdragon 845, bringing lots of new features and improvements in almost every aspects. The most notable of these is the onboard Snapdragon X24 and Snapdragon X50 LTE modems that brings the full supports for 5G.
The Snapdragon 855 is Qualcomm first processor to be based on the 7nm process, and the world’s first commercial platform to brings multi-gigabit 5G to the consumer markets. In addition, the chipset is also the first to embraced the new Wi-Fi security standard, WPA3. The list of titles it earned is further lengthened with its supports for WiFi 802.11ay that can deliver a speed of up to 10Gbps.
The processor is composed of Quad Kryo 485 CPU (Cortex A55) that is efficiency driven and Quad Kryo 485 CPU (Cortex A76) that is performance driven. Graphics is handled by the new Adreno 640 GPU. According to Qualcomm, the Snapdragon 855 offer 45% improved performance and 20% graphics performance when compared with Snapdragon 845.
Moreover, the chipset also comes with a 4th generation multi-core AI Engine that can render more than seven trillions operation per second. To cap it all, the Snapdragon 855 ushered in 3D Sonic Sensor, an ultrasonic fingerprint solution for under-displays.
Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform Specifications
- Architecture: Octa-Core— 1x 2.8GHz Kryo 485 Prime CPU (Cortex A76) + 3x 2.42GHz Kryo 485 Performance CPUs (Cortex A76) + 4x 1.8GHz Kryo 485 Efficiency CPUs (Cortex A55); 7nm process
- Memory: 4×16 LPDDR4x at 2133MHz
- Storage: eMMC, UFS
- Graphics: Adreno 640 GPU; API supports: OpenGL ES 3.2, OpenCL 2.0 FP, Vulkan 1.1, DX12
- Display: Supports up to 4K HDR (internal), up to two 4K HDR display (external); HDR10+, 10-bit color depth, Rec 2020 color gamut
- DSP: Hexagon 690 DSP with forth-generation Hexagon Vector eXtensions (HVX), Qualcomm All-Ways Aware™ technology, Qualcomm Hexagon Tensor Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Vector Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Voice Assistance
- Video Capture: HEVC, HDR10, HDR10+, 4K HDR with Portrait Mode, HLG, 720p Slo-mo video @480fps, up to 10-bit color depth video capture
- Video Playback: HDR Playback Codec support for HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision, VP9, VP8, H.265 (HEVC), H.264 (AVC), Volumetric VR video playback, 8K 360 VR
- Photo: Qualcomm Spectra 380 ISPs (14-bit), supports up to 20MP dual camera or up to 32MP single camera; HEIF capture
- Audio: Qualcomm® aptX™ Adaptive audio technology, Qualcomm Aqstic™ audio technology, Qualcomm TrueWireless™ Stereo Plus technology, Qualcomm® Broadcast Audio technology; Native DSD support, support two wake words simultaneously (Google Assistant, Alexa, Cortana, Baidu), PCM up to 384 kHz/32-bit, Always-on echo cancellation, noise suppression, up to 4 far-field Mics support
- Modem: Integrated X24 LTE with Global Mode, VoLTE with SRVCC to 3G and 2G, HD and Ultra HD Voice (EVS), CSFB to 3G and 2G
- Data: Cat 20/13 speeds of up to 2Gbps down via 7×20 MHz carrier aggregation in the downlink, up to 360Mbps upload speed via 3×20 MHz carrier aggregation in the uplink, 4×4 MIMO, 256-QAM, Uplink data compression
- Wireless Connectivity: 802.11ax-ready Multi-gigabit, 802.11ay, 802.11ad, 802.11ac 2×2 (2-stream) (2.4GHz/5GHz/60GHz + MU-MIMO), NFC, Bluetooth 5
- SIM: LTE Dual SIM Dual Standby (DSDS), Dual SIM Dual VoLTE (DSDV)
- Positioning: GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo, QZSS, SBAS, Dual frequency GNSS
- Fast Charging: Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology
The Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform is already available for OEMs, it is expected to launch in mobile devices in Q1 2019.