Chemistry Examination questions for secondary school students to aid in effective learning process.
These Chemistry questions and answers have been properly prepared to assist every students in their preparation for any upcoming examination; Primarily Compiled and assembled to serve as a reference material to help teachers draw up test and exam questions faster.
It can also aid students assess their level of exam preparation.
CHEMISTRY EXAM QUESTIONS| FIRST TERM EXAMINATION, 2020/2021 SESSION
CLASS: SS1 SUBJECT: CHEMISTRY TIME: 2 HOURS
SECTION A – OBJECTIVES [50MARKS]
Instructions: Answer all questions
- Chemistry can be applied in the following fields EXCEPT A. Agriculture Oil and gas C. Politics D. Metallurgy
- Separation of mixtures of solids with various sizes can be done A. Magnetic separation B. Coarsing C. Sublimation D. Sieving
- Which of the following is an example of a chemical change? A. Dissolution of salt in water B. Rusting of iron C. Melting of ice D. Separating of mixture by distillation
- These are basic particles from which matter could be made EXCEPT A. Salt B. Atoms C. Ions D. Molecules
- A molecule of neon is A. Diatomic Ionic C. Triatomic D. Minoatomic
- Which of these requires crystallization most? A. Drug making Cement making C. Paint making D. Perfume making
- Which one is the odd-one out? A. Air Urine C. Brass D. Sand
- Chemical hypothesis is different from chemical law that A. Hypothesis is not reasonable explanation to observation made while law is reasonable Hypothesis is a reasonable explanation to observations while law is a statement from a scientist C. Hypothesis is a reasonable explanation to observations while law is a statement which confirms the hypothesis after extensive tests D. None of the above
- Separating funnel is used for separating a mixture of A. Liquids with different boiling points Liquids with sediment C. Liquids with different colour D. Liquids that are immiscible
- The simplest unit of water that retains its properties is called? An atom B. An element C. An hydroxide D. A molecule
- Of the basic particles that make up an atom, the one with the smallest mass is A. A proton A neutron C. An D. An electron
- The atomic mass of an element is mostly due to the mass of A. Electrons and protons Electrons and neutrons C. Protons and neutrons D.Positions and neutrons
- One of the following is NOT a branch of chemistry Analytical chemistry B. Medicinal chemistry C. Organic Chemistry D. Hybrid chemistry
- One of these professions has no need for chemistry A. Mining B. Engineering C. Philosophy D. Geology
- How many molecules are there in 1 mole of chlorine molecules? A. 35.5 molecules 6.02 x 10-23 molecules C. 17.0 molecules D. 6.02 x 23 molecules
- A heterogeneous mixture can be defined as any mixture A. Whose compositions combine to produce a uniform substance Whose compositions combine to produce a non-uniform substance C. Formed by solids and liquids D. Of a solute and a solvent
- Atomicity of Ozone is A. 1 2 C. 3 D. 4
- The relative molecular mass of Lead (ii) trioxonitrate (v) is? (Pb = 207,
N = 14, O = 16) A. 170 B. 222 C. 232 D. 132
- The percentage of oxygen in sulphur(iv) oxide is (S = 32, O=16) A. 5% 50% C. 500% D. 25%
- The empirical formula of C6H6 is CH B. C3H3 C. C6H6 D. 3CH
- Which of the following techniques can be used to obtained ethanol from a mixture of ethanol and water? A. Boiling Chromatography
- Crystallization D. Distillation
- What is the relationship between empirical formula and molecular formula? A. Empirical formula = Molecular formula Empirical formula = n x molecular formula (n=1,2,3…) C. Molecular formula = n x Empirical formula (n = 1, 2,3…) D. Molecular formula x Empirical formula = 1
- Based on the IUPAC way of representing symbols, the symbol for Iron is A. He Ir C. Ion D. Fe
- Calculate the percentage by mass of Lead in 1 mole of Pb (NO3)2
(Pb = 207; N = 14, 0 = 16) A. 76.9% b. 62.5% C. 77.5% D. 87.3%
- How many moles of magnesium atoms are present in 0.80g of magnesium? (Mg = 24) A. 0.003mole 0.30mole C. 0.33mole D.0.03mole
- Modern standard element with which chemists define relative atomic mass is A. 12C 13C C. 3H D. 14C
- Which of the following are mixtures? (i) Petroleum (ii) Rubber latx (iii) Vulcanizers solution (iv) carbon (ii) sulphur i, ii and iii B. i, ii and iv C. i and iii only D. i and iv
- Which of the following substances is NOT a homogenous mixture?
- Filtered seawater B. Soft drink c. Flood water D. writing ink
- Fractional crystallization is a method of separating A. Crude oil B. Liquid-liquid mixture C. coal D. solids of different solubilities in a liquid
- There are three main states of matter; liquid, solid, and gas. All have different properties. Which statement describes the physical state of a solid but not a liquid or gas? A. It has its own shape It does not have its own shape C. It takes the shape of its container D. It changes shape with temperature
- Which of the following is a property of both liquids and gases, but not solids? A. Can flow Can be compressed C. Has a definite shape D. Has a definite texture
- Chemical symbol represents A. Chemical formula Molecular formula C. Structural formula D. Atomic formula
- A modern model of an atom show that electrons are present outside the nucleus in region of highest A. Probability Velocity C. Speed D. Energy level
- Smaller particles in an atom are called A. Atomic particles Subatomic particles C. Smaller particles D. Neutral particles
- At room temperature, helium does Not have a definite shape or volume. Which state is it in? A. Gas Solid C. Water D. Liquid
- Which property determines whether one substance will sink or float in another substance? A. Texture Density C. Volume D. Temperature
- The water supply system in your town is contamin with salt water. Drinking water can be obtained from the contaminated water by A. Filtration Evaporation C. Crystallization D. Distillation
- Which of the following methods would you recommend to recover Iron pieces from a garbage dump containing dry leaves, papers and broken glass? A. Burning of leaves and paper Filtration C. Hand picking of iron pieces D. Magnetic separation
- The criteria to verify the purity of a solid substance are I. Boiling point Melting paint III. Density IV. Refractive Index A. I, II B. II, III C. I, II, III D. I, IV
- Valency is the combining power of an element. The valency of Nitrogen is A. 1 2 C.3 D. 2 or 3
- What is the mass in grammes of 0.50mole of oxygen atoms? (O= 16)
- 0.50g B. 2.0g C. 5.0g D. 8.0g
- The mass spectrometer is used to measure A. The number of protons in the nucleus of atom The number of electrons in an atom C. The relative molecular mass of an atom D. Quantity of mass
- A molecule of neon is A. N N2 C. Ne D. Nez
- One mole of oxygen atoms A. Has a molar mass of 32g Has 6.02 x 1023 molecules C. Can be represented as O2 D. Contains Avogadro’s number of atoms
- The constituents of a leaf pigment can be separated by A. Chromatography B. Filtration C. Fractional crystallization
- An element X with relative atomic mass 16.2 contains two isotopes with relative abundance of 90% and with relative abundance of 10%. The value of m is A. 14 12 C. 18 D.16
- What is the percentage of mass of sodium in sodium hydroxide (Na = 23, O = 16, H =1) A. 40.4% 42.5% C. 57.2% D. 73.0%
- Neutral atoms of neon with atomic number 10 have the same number of electrons as A. 02- Ca2+ C. K+ D. S2-
- The modern way of representing symbols was developed in 1818 by A. Einstein B. Berzelius C. Dalton D. Rutherford
- In countries where temperatures are most times far below zero, why is common salt sprinkled on the icy-roads? A. To remove impurities To lower the melting point of the ice
SECTION B – THEORY
Instruction: This section is divided into two parts. Attempt only ONE question in part I and any THREE (3) questions in Part II
PART I [40MARKS]
- Using a neat diagram, explain how a mixture of two immiscible liquids of your choice can be separated.
2a. Define the terms (i) mixture (ii)compound. Give three differences between them
- Classify the following substances as an element, a mixture or a compound (i) Limestone (ii) Diamond (iii) Sand (iv) Soil (v) Urine (vi) Bronze (vii) Sugar (viii) Gold (ix) Clay (x) Urea (xi) Antimony (xii) Soap (xiii) Milk (xiv) Air (xv) Neon (xvi) Iron
- Why is sodium chloride solution regarded as a mixture?
- How would you separate the components of the following mixtures?
(i) A mixture of sodium chloride and ammonium chloride (ii) A mixture of Iron dust and zinc dust (iii)A mixture of water and sugar
(iv) A mixture of two solids which have widely different solubilitus in water (v) A pure solid from a concentrated solution of its salt.
PART II [ 60 MARKS]
State Dalton’s atomic theory and its corresponding modification
4a. How is a Homogenous mixture different from a Heterogeneous mixture?
- Classify each of the following changes as either a physical change or a chemical change
(i) The addition of water to quicklime
(ii) The melting of candle ware
(iii) The change in colour of zinc oxide from white to yellow when
(iv) The hardening of cement by the absorption of carbon(iv) oxide
(v) The addition of a base to an acid to form salt and water only
5a. Define the relative atomic mass of an element
- Calculate the relative molecular mass of;
- Slaked lime, Ca(OH)2
- Sodium trioxonitrate(v), NaNO3
iii. Hydrated copper(ii) tetraoxosulphate(vi), CuSO4 – 5H2O
- What do you understand by the atomicity of an element?
(Ca = 40; O = 16; H=1; Na = 23; N = 28; S = 32; Cu = 64)
- Find the empirical formula of a compound which on analysis yields the following as the reacting masses. Carbon = 2.0g, hydrogen = 0.34g, Oxygen = 2.67g. from your result, find the molecular formula of the compound, if its relative molecular mass is 60.
7a. Define the following
(i) Mole (ii) Molecule (iii) Iron (iv) atom
- How many moles are there in 20g of CaCO3?
- Calculate the percentage by mass of nitrogen in trioxonitrate(v) acid
That is all for now- You can visit our E-learning section to practice several questions and win cash prizes on a weekly basis-Click here* BEST DEALS & OFFERS*
◊Become an Expert Cryptocurrency Trader and Investor With My Winning Master plan and strategies. Get a 1-7 days Course Live on Zoom with complete mentorship and first hand signals With 30% Off Original Price For Just 100 Slots--CLICK HERE
◊Get Free ₦1,000 plus 5% - 15% interests on savings and over 35% return on investments: Create a Free Account on PiggyVest --CLICK HERE
◊Do you want to make good money daily betting on your favorite soccer games?Join Betgaranteed Telegram channel for constant and steady Football winning --CLICK HERE
◊Register Your Business Name With CAC and Get it in less than 2 weeks--CLICK HERE
◊ ◊Grab Ultimate List of Over 100+ Companies That Pays You Up To $2500 To Blog and Post Online ( #3000 Only))- CLICK HERE