The Nigerian Prisons Service (NPS) is one of the functional paramilitary agencies established by the Nigerian Government. Just like Nigeria’s other paramilitary agencies, NPS runs a yearly recruitment programme and maintains an online portal for this purpose.
Notably, NPS recruits a massive population of young Nigerians (who could be graduates or non-graduates) into various job positions.
If you’re a Nigerian youth willing to serve in the Nigerian Prisons Service, you should rest assured that this very article has got all the information you need to successfully apply for the agency’s recruitment.
General Requirements for Nigerian Prisons Service Recruitment
The general requirements for Nigerian Prisons Service recruitment refer to those conditions all applicants must fulfill before they are considered eligible for vacant positions in the paramilitary agency. These conditions are outlined as follows:
- Applicants are mandated to be in the age bracket of 18-30 years
- Possession of the required academic qualifications for applicants’ preferred job positions. All required qualifications/certificates should be presented at the point of recruitment. After recruitment, applicants will not be allowed to present any new certificates/qualifications they did not present during recruitment
- Nigerian citizenship acquired through birth
- Evidence of medical fitness in the form of certificates granted by any government-accredited hospitals
- Freedom from any indications or record of financial embarrassment
- Dissociation from drug addiction groups, cult groups, secret societies, etc.
- Height measurement for male applicants must not be less than 1.65m while that of female applicants must not be less than 1.60m
- Possessing a valid identification means such as a national immigration passport, a driving license or a voter’s card
- Chest measurement for male applicants must not be lower than 0.87m
- Applicants with computer literacy have an added advantage
How to Apply for Nigeria Prisons Service Recruitment
- Click the link here to visit the recruitment portal of the Nigeria Prisons Service
- On the recruitment portal, you’ll have to attempt a registration process needed for creating a user account
- For the account creation, input your email address, your password and other required details in their respective fields
- Then, confirm that you are not a bot before clicking the register button close by
- Doing the above will make you receive a verification email message
- Log into the email account you provided (during the earlier NPS account registration) and click the activation link sent into it
- Once you’re done with account activation, you can then log into your account via http://recruit.prisonsportal.com.ng/recruit so as to proceed to NPS job application
- Do well to comply with all the guidelines (you find on the portal) for completing your form
- After submitting your application form, ensure you obtain a print-out of the reference form and fill the required details in it
Important notice: the NPS recruitment requirements in this article are the general requisites that qualify applicants for job positions in the NPS. In the course of your application, you should endeavour to find out the minimum requirements for your preferred NPS category such as Category A (Superintendent Cadre), Category B (Inspectorate Cadre), etc.
Lastly, do not make the mistake of applying more than once as NPS tends to disqualify applicants with multiple applications.
Nigerian Prison Service Recruitment FAQs & Answers
When is NPS Recruiting for 2021/2022?
We are consistently updating this page to reflect the latest recruitment information from the Nigerian Prison Service, please check always here for 24/7 update.
What is NPS 2021/2022 recruitment deadline?
The Nigerian prison service recruitment closes just 6 weeks from the initial date of announcement. All interested applicants must make sure that they complete the form and send it online before the closing date.
How can I get latest information on NPS recruitment?
Always visit this page for updated information. We promise you the latest news only.
NIGERIAN PRISON SERVICE Recruitment.
The Nigerian Correctional Service which was formerly known as the Nigerian Prison Service until August 2019 is a Nigerian government agency that operates the correctional (prison) facilities across the country.
Charged with the responsibility of taking charge of those legally detained, identifying their behavior causes, and retraining them, the National Prison Service is fully empowered by the 1972 Decree No.9 as amended in 2004 CAP P29 laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and in the 2019 Nigerian Correctional Services Act.
The Nigerian Prison Service has its headquarters in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja and is headed by the Controller-General of Prison Service, Ja’afaru Ahmed. He was installed as the head in 2016 by the President, Muhammadu Buhari and is directly responsible to the Minister of Interior and the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration, and Prison Services Board.
The Nigerian Prison Service which came to reality in 1968 after the abolishment of the former Native Authority Prisons can, today, boast of about 240 prisons among which are 138 main prisons (for convicts), 85 satellite facilities, 14 farm centers, and 3 Borstal Institutions.
Most importantly, the Nigerian Prison Service (Nigerian Correctional Service) has just one vision which is to establish a credible prison service.
This the service will do through efficient penal practices that a long-lasting change in the attitudes, behaviors, values of convicts.
This is to ensure these convicts enjoy a successful reintegration into society.
What are the functions of the Nigerian Prison Service?
The Nigerian Prisons Service derives its operational powers fully from the CAP P29 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004. This law empowers the Nigerian Prison Service to carry out the following functions below.
- To take all those certified to be so kept by courts of competent jurisdiction into lawful custody.
- To produce suspects in courts as and when due for an appearance.
- To identify the causes of convicts’ anti-social dispositions.
- To set in motion mechanisms for convicts treatment and training for eventual reintegration into society as normal law-abiding citizens on discharge.
- To establish and administer Prisons Farms and Industries for the purpose of retraining convicts and in the process generate revenue for the Federal government.
What is the strength of the Nigerian Prison Service?
Like every other civil service, the Nigerian Prison Service strength lies in its staff numbers. Today, the Nigerian Prison Service boasts of over 28,500 officers with many other recruits still undergoing training.
What is the Primary Role of the Nigerian Prison Service?
The primary role of the Nigerian Prison Service, NPS is embedded in its mission statement which is “to promote public protection by providing assistance for offenders in their reformation and rehabilitation under safe, secure, and humane conditions in accordance with the universally accepted standard and to facilitate their social reintegration into the society.”
The NPS specific functions include the following below;
- To take custody of suspects or convicts legally detained.
- To identify the causes of convicts behaviors.
- To retrain convicts into becoming useful and noteworthy citizens in any society that they find themselves.
Monthly Salary of the Nigerian Prison Service
The Nigerian Prison Service Salary is structured according to the rank in line with grade levels and steps of the officers. Averagely, the Nigerian Prison Service employee receives between…and…per year. Also, the monthly average for an NPS officer is…
Their salary is also determined by the three major salary structure board which include;
- Consolidated Paramilitary Salary Structure (CONPASS).
- Consolidated Salary Structure for Medical Officers (CONMESS).
- Consolidated Salary Structure for Health Workers (CONHESS).
Based on rank, the National Prison Service Workers salary is divided into three categories which are based on their three major rank structure which include;
- Superintendent (Category A).
- Inspectorate (Category B).
- Assistant (Category C).
Below is the salary of all Category A officers from the highest rank to the lowest rank;
Controller-General of Prisons (CG) –
Superintendent of Prison I (SP I) –
Superintendent of Prison II (SP II) –
Deputy Superintendent (DSP) –
Assistant Superintendent I (ASP I) –
Assistant Superintendent II (ASP II) –
Below is the salary of all Category B officers from the highest rank to the lowest rank;
Senior Inspector (SI) –
Inspector of Prison (IP) –
Assistant Inspector of Prison (AIP) –
Below is the salary of all Category C officers from the highest rank to the lowest rank;
Prison Assistant I (PA I) –
Prison Assistant II (PA II) –
Prison Assistant III (PA III) –
The average salary of Nigerian Prisons Service Ranks, Salary Structures is workers – ₦800,000-₦1,000,000 annually (₦50,000 monthly).
What are the six branches of the Nigerian Prison Service?
For efficient administration and management, the Nigerian Prison Service has various staff branches
otherwise known as a directorate.
These directorates are known to be part of the six (6) board administrative division which is all headed by six (6) Deputy Controller-Generals (DCGs).
- Administration and Supplies.
- Works and Logistics.
- Health and Social Welfare.
- Finance and Budget.
- Inmates Training and Productivity.
We hope this article has provided you with sufficient information about NPS recruitment. We implore you to carefully read the guidelines in the article any time you’re applying for recruitment in the Nigerian Prisons Service so as to avoid disappointment.
* BEST DEALS & OFFERS*
◊Become an Expert Cryptocurrency Trader and Investor With My Winning Master plan and strategies. Get a 1-7 days Course Live on Zoom with complete mentorship and first hand signals With 30% Off Original Price For Just 100 Slots--CLICK HERE
◊Get Free ₦1,000 plus 5% - 15% interests on savings and over 35% return on investments: Create a Free Account on PiggyVest --CLICK HERE
◊Do you want to make good money daily betting on your favorite soccer games?Join Betgaranteed Telegram channel for constant and steady Football winning --CLICK HERE
◊Register Your Business Name With CAC and Get it in less than 2 weeks--CLICK HERE
◊ ◊Grab Ultimate List of Over 100+ Companies That Pays You Up To $2500 To Blog and Post Online ( #3000 Only))- CLICK HERE