The Mi 8 and Mi 8 Explorer were not the only smartphones announced by Xiaomi today, in addition, the company also launched a lesser variant of the device dubbed Mi 8 SE. Unlike the Mi 8, this feature a smaller AMOLED display and is more compact in design. It has the same glass front and back with aluminium frame and it also inherited the notch as well.
The Mi 8 SE, however, is powered by Qualcomm’s new Snapdragon 710 10nm processor, coupled with up to 6GB of RAM. It lacked the dedicated IR camera but retain the 20MP front camera found on Mi 8. The phone also comes equipped with dual rear-facing camera, but in 12MP+5MP configuration.
It runs Android 8.1 Oreo, has a fingerprint sensor at the back, and is fuelled by a 3120mAh battery. Audio is delivered through USB Type-C as it lack a 3.5mm audio jack.
Xiaomi Mi 8 SE Specifications
- 5.88-inch AMOLED display with Full HD+ (2248×1080) resolution, 18.7:9 aspect ratio, 60000:1 contrast ratio, 600 nits brightness, DCI-P3
- 64-bit 2.2GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 710 Mobile Platform, Adreno 616 GPU
- 4GB / 6GB LPDDR4X RAM
- 64GB built-in storage (eMMc 5.1)
- 12-megapixel rear camera, f/1.9 aperture, 1.4μm pixel size, LED flash; secondary 5-megapixel rear camera with f/2.0 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size
- 20-megapixel front camera
- OS: Android 8.1 Oreo, MIUI 9, upgradeable to MIUI 10
- Fingerprint sensor
- Dual SIM
- Connectivity: WiFi 802.11ac (dual band + 2×2 MU-MIMO), Bluetooth 5.0, Dual 4G VoLTE, 3G, 2G, GPS, GLONASS, USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 147.28 × 73.09 x 7.5mm
- Weight: 164 grams
- Colour(s): Black, Blue, Gold, Red
The Mi 8 SE 4GB RAM and 6GB RAM version are priced at CNY 1799 ($288) and CNY 1999 ($320), respectively. It will be available from June 8th in China.